Travis Odenbach’s Honeybadger dominated to secure the title of the 2022 J/22 North American Championship, racing J/22 USA sail #1542. With crew Geoff Becker and Billy Farmer, the Rochester Yacht Club-based team tallied just 14 points in eight races, including one in which they did not start (1-3-2-1-2-1-4-[22/DNS]). Christopher Doyle’s The Jug 4 1 put together a solid three days on Tawas Bay to earn second place with 20 points, after winning the last race of the weekend. Jeffrey Todd’s Hot Toddy won race seven in winds of 10-13 knots for third place overall at 27 points. Twenty-one teams representing 10 states competed from September 15-17 in East Tawas, Michigan.
Odenbach credited this win to great teamwork. “I’m so happy to have worked in this event with two of my best friends, Geoff Becker and Billy Farmer. Tawas Bay Yacht Club was amazing, along with Jennifer and Chris Princing,” he summarized. “We just kept grinding away and collectively made good decisions. Now back to the kids!”
- Honeybadger, Travis Odenbach, Rochester Yacht Club, 1-3-2-1-2-1-4-[22/DNS]- ; 14
- The Jug 4 1, Christopher Doyle, Youngstown Yacht Club, 3--9-2-1-2-2-1- ; 20
- Hot Toddy, Jeffrey Todd, Annapolis Yacht Club, -7-1-4-5-5-1-4- ; 27
- Bad News, Mike Marshall, New York Yacht Club, -8-4-3-3-4-3-2- ; 27
- Osprey, Chase Quinn, Bristol Yacht Club, 4-1-5--6-3-6-5- ; 30
Photos and videos can be found on the J/22 International Class Association Facebook page or at https://www.gretchendorian.com/2022-J22-North-Americans/. Complete event details may be found at https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/23836.